Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sarah Sibley, Pusher(wo)man

Everyone has a story that starts "As long as I can remember I've been on a bike." Or, "I remember when I was 10 years old and I got my first cool bike." I do not have one of those stories. Oh sure, I had bikes - a Strawberry Shortcake big wheel, a blue Schwinn with white streamers sailing off the ends of the handlebars, an orange Trek Mountain bike in college that was nicknamed "the Burrito Runner." I was just never really into bikes growing up.

My, how things have changed. Five years ago, while living in Seattle, my husband casually asked if road riding was something I'd be into. I think my answer was "uhm, ya sure, maybe. Why?" Followed quickly by "Would I have to wear spandex?" Somehow he talked me into getting a road bike and making cycling a hobby that we would do together. "Come on, you're so good at spinning. You'll be a natural on a road bike." What a hustler!

In a matter of weeks I was on a brilliant orange Motobecane SprinTour (later nicknamed "Orange Crush"). And seconds later I was falling off the same brilliant orange Motobecane SprinTour. It was a tough learning process, but luckily bruised knees and a bruised ego didn't hold me down. I dove headfirst and fell madly in love with cycling. I trained with a few ladies and did the Seattle to Portland 200 mile ride over two days in July 2006. When I crossed that finish line, you would have thought I just won the Olympic Gold Medal. I was sobbing and smiling and hugging and high-fiving everyone around me. It was glorious.

Finishing last years Venus de Miles 65-mile route on Orange Crush

After that, I was hooked. Along with a few girls, we started a recreational club called "Team Girl Parts." We'd meet once a week and on the weekends to ride together - no dudes. We figured there was a lot of time to talk on rides, and it's was great way for the ladies to talk about thing you just can't with the gentlemen. Also, we all had pretty competitive male partners that seems to want to always be King of the Mountain.

I've since moved away from Seattle and Team Girl Part, but am so so so so glad to have found Venus de Miles and an awesome group of ladies to ride with. I've put almost 3000 miles on Orange Crush and can't wait to double that.
Be warned. If you're a woman, and are thinking about getting on a road bike, I'm a pusher(wo)man. I'll get you on that bike and riding if it's the last thing I do.

Sarah Sibley is a board member and ride leader for Full Cycle's Venus de Miles Club, and general badass.

No comments: